14 January 2017

Großliebental, Liebental District, Odessa

Großliebental was a Protestant Mother colony founded in 1803.  The 78 families that made up the original colonists came to Großliebental from Hungary but were originally from Alsace, Baden, Prussia, Rhine Bavaria, Saxony and Württemberg.

The colony was located on the river Akershi, was was fed by springs and emptied one mile south into the Black Sea.

By 1914, there were 167 farmers, but there wasn't enough land for all those who wanted to farm. Many made a living by sharecropping or truck farming (the practice of growing crops on a large scale for the purpose of transporting them to distant markets) or were craftsmen or tradesmen.

There were several wagon factories, blacksmiths, carpenters, a bakery, flour mills, a brick and tile factory and three wine and vodka taverns.

Below are two slightly different plat maps of Großliebental.  Locate the church (Kirche) and the school (Schule) in the center on each.

Plat map of Großliebental
Source: Erinnerungen an die deutschen Kolonien des Großliebentaler Rayons bei Odessa
Map courtesy of the Black Sea German Research plat map collection
This map also appears in Homesteaders on the Steppe, p. 332-333

Plat map of Großliebental
Source: Heimatbuch der Deutschen aus Russland, 1956
Map courtesy of the Black Sea German Research plat map collection

Location of Großliebental



 # # #